Sunday, November 18, 2007

Linux Fails Again

Ubuntu CDs arrived the other day, spent some time looking stuff up on how to get the modem working while using the live CD; went to install it before I tried out any of the stuff I found and discovered that it the Ubuntu installer didn't detect any HDD's and thus wouldn't let me install.

All I can say is that Linux has had it's 6th or so try and still hasn't been able to be usable as an OS. Thankfully I used another HDD this time so I didn't loose Windows or any of the data on it and was able to happily install Vista which turned up no problems.

Previously different Linux distribution have done various things such as after happily formatting my hard drive failing to start X, leaving me without an internet connection (now that I realise I wouldn't have the drivers or whatever for the modem so I would've been screwed anyway) or a working computer (OEM refused to install with modified HDD). It has happily formatted my hard drive only to to stop installing half way through.

FreeBSD might not be as user friendly but at least it's not as destructive as Linux has been. Windows usually never encounters problems and has so far never left me without and OS.

No comments: