Thursday, March 19, 2009

uTorrent?

I recently installed Windows over Ubuntu, Vista to be specific and after finally getting it fully setup I dissapointingly got a BSOD, at first I thought my hardware was failing so I did a memory check and scandisk and for good measure installed a antivirus. This didn't stop the blue screens however, but I realised that every time I started my laptop I was starting uTorrent. So it turns out that while uTorrent was downloading a BSOD occured, more specificly I discovered that only while continuing a torrent I had started in Transmission caused the BSOD, other torrents downloaded fine.

I decided to try replicate this at work, which has plenty of machines to spare. So I setup Ubuntu on one computer and Vista on another, started a torrent with Transmission and copied the partial download from the Ubuntu computer to the Vista computer and added and started it with uTorrent, behold a BSOD.

Looks like I discovered a problem, probably in NTFS-3G, Windows or uTorrent.

Upon this realisation I searched Google for anyone else encountering the problem and found a thread on the official uTorrent forums http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=53839

I posted steps to reproduce the problem and stated that other Torrent applications did not cause the BSOD with the Administrators/Moderators replying that uTorrent is perfect and it is a problem with my machine or drivers after which I restated that I had tested this on multiple machines.

I gave up responing, but to finish my torrents I ended up setting up a Virtual Machine and used Transmission to download a bit more of the torrent then uploaded the changed file back to Vista using Samba..

No comments: